FAQ’s – Frequently Asked Questions About Individual Health Insurance

Get answers to frequently asked questions about individual health insurance in Washington State.

What is health insurance?

Health insurance is a contract in which the insured and the insurer share risk. The insured pays a premium to the insurer who pays a predetermined amount of money toward healthcare expenses.

How do I use eQuoteAssist to apply for my insurance plan?

After calculating your total premium, click the “apply now” link at the right of the calculated plan’s row. This link will direct you to the corresponding insurance company’s website, where you can apply and pay your plan premium.

What does it cost to use eQuoteAssist.com?

Nothing. Your premium is the same whether you purchase your health plan directly from the insurance company or through eQuoteAssist.com. eQuoteAssist.com was developed to help you select the right plan with the right premium from among the best health plans in the State of Washington.

If I apply for an insurance plan, am I obligated to buy?

No. You are under no obligation to buy a health insurance plan when using our site. After submitting your application you may cancel it at any time during the underwriting process.

What is the difference between an HMO and a PPO?

An HMO (health maintenance organization) and a PPO (preferred provider organization) are both managed care organizations that use certain procedures to manage the accessibility, cost and quality of healthcare. The levels of service and flexibility vary from plan to plan.

An HMO shares financial and delivery risks relating to healthcare services with those who are enrolled in a healthcare plan in exchange for a fixed, prepaid fee.

A PPO is a similar arrangement but the organization provides coverage for services through a preferred provider at a discounted rate. Services obtained by a provider who is not a preferred provider may be covered, but the rate may be substantially higher.

What is a deductible?

A deductible is an amount of money that an insured person pays out-of-pocket before the insurance company becomes responsible for any benefit payments.

What is the difference between a co-pay and co-insurance?

Co-insurance is the portion of costs that are shared between the insured and the insurer. It is common for an insurance company to pay 80% with the insured (you) being responsible for the remaining 20%.

A co-pay is a predetermined amount of money that the insured pays out for certain services. For example, if you have a $20 co-pay on doctors visits, you would pay the doctor $20 for every visit and the insurance would pay the rest of the doctors fee for that visit. Special services, like x-rays or lab work, are not usually covered under the co-pay for the doctors visit.

Are co-payments counted as part of the annual deductible?

Not usually. Most insurance policies that have co-pays and deductibles handle doctor’s visits and hospital stays separately. You have to read the terms of your policy to be sure, but in most cases, a co-pay applies to the doctor’s visit and the deductible applies to hospitalization or other healthcare services.

Need Help Choosing A Plan?

We can help you find the best health plan to fit your needs. Complete the contact form and an eQuoteAssist.com representative will contact you with personalized options. Contact Us

eQuoteAssist.com Your Online Health Insurance Solution